Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner, and I’ve got an easy-to-whip-up recipe for your weekend festivities. These Air Fryer Cheese Taquitos are the ultimate crunchy, cheesy appetizer. And if you don’t have an air fryer, they can easily be made in the oven.
Reflecting on the food I cook, I gravitate towards Mexican or Latin-Style food. Authentic or not, I tend to head in that direction in the kitchen.
My 14 years living in San Diego certainly influenced my taste. My dad recently asked my old San Diego roomie and close friend Cynthia where one can find the best Mexican food in all of San Diego. She said that it’s not Old Town, contrary to tourists’ popular belief. Instead, she said, the best Mexican food can be found at the taco shops.
And there’s so many good options to choose from at the taco shops – from shrimp diablo burritos, to California burritos, to carne asada fries, to one of my go-to orders – rolled tacos.
Everywhere but America’s Finest City, I have seen them called taquitos. But in San Diego, they are rolled tacos. Usually, they’re filled with beef and then topped with sour cream, guacamole, cheese, and sometimes lettuce. Many a late night out during my heyday, I chowed down on these rolled tacos before going to bed. And I plan to do it once again when I go to San Diego in a couple weeks for my bachelorette party.
But to hold me over until then, and this Cinco de Mayo, I’ll be munching on these healthier, Air Fryer Cheese Taquitos. Serve them with Latin Style Black Beans, Soyrizo and Queso Fresco Jalapeno Poppers, and a Skinny Watermelon Margarita and you’re ready to fiesta.
First, preheat the air fryer (or oven) to 375 degrees. While that’s preheating, cut each string cheese in half, length-wise.
Next, microwave tortillas on plate covered with a damp paper towel for approximately 25 seconds so that tortillas are pliable. Roll up one string cheese half into each tortilla. It’s okay if the tortillas break some. It’s bound to happen a bit.
Then, lightly mist bottom of air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place cheese taquitos in bottom of basket seam-side down and mist olive oil spray (for approximately 5 seconds) over tops of taquitos.
Air fry the taquitos for 4 minutes or until tortillas start to crisp. Using tongs, flip taquitos over and mist with olive oil spray for approximately 5 seconds. Then, air fry for another 4 minutes.
When time is up, remove the taquitos from air fryer and serve immediately with a side of salsa for dipping. They are great served with guacamole for additional WW points.
Air Fryer Cheese Taquitos
These Air Fryer Cheese Taquitos are the ultimate crunchy, cheesy appetizer. 2 WW Freestyle Points per taquito! If you do not have an air fryer, follow the same instructions to cook in the oven.
- 6 low point corn tortillas (Trader Joe’s or Mission Extra Thin corn tortillas work great)
- 3 light string cheese sticks (pick one that is only 1 point like WW or Frigo’s Light)
- olive oil spray
- guacamole (optional for additional points)
- Preheat air fryer on 375 degrees. Cut each string cheese into half, length-wise.
- Microwave tortillas on plate covered with a damp paper towel for approximately 25 seconds so that tortillas are pliable.
- Roll up one string cheese half into each tortilla.
- Lightly mist bottom of air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place cheese taquitos seam-side down into bottom of basket. Mist olive oil spray (for approximately 5 seconds) over tops of taquitos.
- Air fry for 4-5 minutes or until tortillas start to crisp. Using tongs, flip taquitos over and mist with olive oil spray for approximately 5 seconds. Air fry for another 4 minutes.
- Remove from air fryer and serve immediately with a side of salsa for dipping. Can be served with guacamole for additional WW points.
WW Points 1 taquito = 2 Freestyle Points